Thursday, May 29, 2008

Ombre-tastic: Tie-Dye Redefined






















Ombre (n) A French word meaning “shaded.” Usually a multicolored stripe with colors graduating from light to dark.
This technique of dyeing from light to dark has been around for a long time. It’s basically tie-dye’s distant (high-fashion) cousin. But, don’t expect the kids at your local YMCA summer camps to start making ombre T-Shirts instead of traditional tie-dye gear. Ombre is an extremely rigorous process because the color effect is actually intricately woven into the fabric, which is why sporting the dip-die look can be pricey. Total cost depends on labor, colors, and the number of transitions (read: how hard the garment was to make).
I assume the trend will last all thru the summer. That’s fine with me because I love the look. (Hippie-chic, ultra-girlie, colorful...)
However, my only problem with the whole ombre-fad is the style of the garments themselves. It’s like they got lazy and just took all of last year's bubble dresses, maxi-dresses, 60s-inspired frocks, tank tops and tunics, and updated them with ombre prints. And while the new color palettes are eye-catching and its an easy-to-pull-off look that requires no accessorizing, it still seems half-assed to me. Come on! I'm tired of over-the-top billowy boho-glam. Enough already!
This is why I don’t think I’ll be investing in any ombre-patterned clothes or accessories. Not to mention my New Year’s Resolution was to stop purchasing of-the-moment trends. And if I must have it, it must come from Forever 21. (And all bills must be paid in full) I’ve done pretty well and my boyfriend has actually convinced me to clean out my closet and *gasp* get rid of things! I know, I know—love will make you do crazy things!














No comments: